Omens and Prayers

3.17.2012

Travis and I bought some prayer flags when we were in North Carolina for our anniversary. We've tried to hang them a few times, but you're supposed to put them up on favorable, sunny, breezy mornings, and we were thwarted by gloom, rain, and sleepiness. But today was such a perfect morning, and according to the Dharma Calendar it was favorable. It wasn't really breezy when we first went out, but as soon as we started hanging them, a nice wind kicked up.


The prayers are carried on the wind, which is why you're supposed to hand them on breezy days. Plus, today is St. Patrick's Day, and we're both semi-Irish, so more luck for us! And double-plus, yet another happy omen; can you guess what this is?

Luna Moth! I've never seen one in the wild before, and this one camped out above our front door. She's been there for at least a day. Did you know luna moths don't have mouths? They only live for a week, and they spend that time mating and laying their eggs. In some areas, they're endangered due to habitat destruction. My friend Tami actually raised some from eggs!

The dogs got baths yesterday. Molly LOVES being bathed and brushed. This is her "I'm adorable and you cannot resist hugging me" face.

Tiny yellow flower growing in the shadow, reaching for the sun:

Do you have any lucky traditions in your house? 



6 comments:

  1. I love your flags! I can't wait to hang some this spring. Also, what a beautiful moth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flags are awesome. We love them. :) And the moth hung around for a couple days after that... then disappeared.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! That moth is gorgeous! I wouldn't mind seeing one, although it would probably freak me out at first. You know me and insects of any sort. I like the idea of prayer flags. We'll have to come up with something like that for our home. Can't wait! :D Oh! Happy St. Patricks Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... YOUR home. With which you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT. Awesome feeling, right??? :)

      Delete
  3. There are so many things I love about this post! I love the flags, I need some of those, I need some good omens... I love the luna moth. I have only seen one once before and that was at the Bronx zoo. The Zoo I know, everything lives at the zoo. Lastly, I love, love, love Molly! I have always wanted a Saint Bernard! (My husband says they are too big and slobbery). Molly has the sweetest face ever, I just want to hug her!
    xoxo Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she doesn't really slobber at all. She's very clean. And, she's pretty small for her breed... St Bernards are usually around 130 pounds, but she's only 95. And she's soooooo smart. Such a great dog! :)

      Delete

I'm not always great at replying to comments but I DO read every single one of them and I always reply in my head. So in my mind we've had this deep conversation about the meaning of life or whatever, and we're best friends, and we craft together on Sunday afternoons while drinking Mojitos and watching old Indiana Jones movies. So thank you for your comments. And now I want a mojito.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...