11 Things

3.03.2012

I have a confession... I wrote this post and sat here for awhile before hitting "publish." Despite having a blog, I'm actually a very private person so this feels a little weird to me. Being more open with people is something I've been working on. I've been seeing these 11 things surveys going around the blog block and Elizabeth over at Delightfully Tacky tagged everyone, so why not? I guess I get to yammer about myself for a bit! 

The Rules:
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you've tagged them.

I'm 5'7," so that should put this horse into perspective. He's not small.


11 random things about me:

1. I buy lots of books but I rarely read them cover to cover. I'll pick them up, flip through indexes, and read chunks. But rarely the whole thing. My attention wanders too easily.

2. I've ridden horses since I was 1. Literally, my parents put me on horses before I could walk. I trained them professionally for several years when I was in college in CA, but never formally competed. And for those of you wondering, it was mainly dressage, with a bit of hunter/jumper thrown in, but I also did Spanish Gaited, trail, and a tiny bit of Western. I haven't ridden in about a year, and I miss it terribly. Being around horses is meditative for me.

3. When I was 18 I went backpacking for two weeks in the UK with Jacquie. We had no plans, no reservations. Just took our packs to the train stations and decided where to go. We eventually made it all the way to the west coast, rode buses north, then headed back east and south towards London. I have so many stories from that trip: a basement full of naked australians, fireworks on July 4th (in England? Really??), harrowing car rides... It was so casual and bohemian, I wish we could do it again! 

4. My first memory was of driving from AZ to CA when I was two. We stopped at a gas station and my parents bought a bag of green apples. It was the first time I had one, and I remember how sour it was. Can't remember if I liked it then, but I hate them now. Too sour.

5. Aaaand, cause I just brought it up... I hate sour things. I love sweet. I'm a sugar addict. I literally cannot have any sugar, cause I won't be able to stop.

6. I'm technically disabled, but you wouldn't guess it by looking at me. I was injured in a training accident when I was in the army, and I pretty much pulverized all the soft tissue on the right side of my ribcage. These days it doesn't bother me too much, but every once in awhile I get reminded that I am not 100% anymore.

7.  The two characters I identify with most on television are both intelligent but socially impaired: Veronica from Better of Ted and Dr. Brennan from Bones. I have to actively prevent myself from behaving like them. 

8. I once fell in a shark tank, when I worked at an Aquarium in California.

9. I was once poisoned by a dead sea urchin, also at the Aquarium. I had lots of good times there.

10. I was homeschooled from 7th grade on. I hated it at first, but it was really the best thing ever. It enabled me to really excel and do all kinds of things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, like Living History and participating in marine biology research trips on San Francisco Bay. And it prevented me from throwing textbooks at math teachers. Which is what got me pulled out of school in the first place.

11.  My husband and I missed our own wedding, and we had to call an emergency minister in the middle of the night, who married us the next morning. The minister had to get a local baker to be our witness, in the parking lot, covered in flour. It was actually quite perfect.

Danielle's 11 questions:
1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
I'm actually really lucky in that I'm working on that now. I have a serious fetish for scholarship and education, and I place an extremely high value on both. (*EDIT* I feel like I should clarify that I mean any kind of education, not just traditional. I think it's important to always be learning, in whatever way necessary, whether that's at college, by listening to your grandmother, or just sitting in the library with a book on a new subject!) The truth is I LOVE school and I'll probably always be studying one thing or another. I've had about seven different majors and an absurd number undergraduate credits, because I'm fascinated by so many different things. My favorites have been math, physics, and religion, and right now I'm finishing my master's in religion. I want to get my PhD in the same, and hopefully finish my BA in physics and go further in that too. I'll have a really weird C.V.! Physics and religion. I want to write, travel, and do research, and hopefully if I teach at University, they'll pay me to do that! 

2. What’s the one thing you look forward to every day?
Seeing my dogs first thing in the morning. They are so happy and love so totally! It's impossible to feel anything but happy when they're so excited to see you when you wake up.

3. What is your number one, all-time, favorite blog?
Geez I dunno. I actually haven't been reading them that long, so there are several that I really like. Love Elycia, Delightfully Tacky, Delirious Rhapsody, Chicken Scratch, are a few I look forward to reading, but really there are many more. And my IRL friend Jacquie writes a cool blog Life Lived Gracefully, and another IRL friend, Jessica, writes Philomath Momma, which is so deep and mystical that I feel like it whacks me on the side of the head with rainbows whenever I read it.

4. Biggest online pet peeve?
People shouting their opinions without actually reading or thinking. Having opinions is awesome, and having an open forum to talk about them is great, but when everyone's just yelling and no one is really listening, I get really irritated. Think then speak. Then listen. Then respond. 

5. What is your all-time favorite book?
YIKES I HAVE SO MANY! I love books and have a library that is my most prized possession. I've been building it since I was a kid and it has so many wonderful, weird, beautiful books! But my favorite?? Yeesh this is so hard. I guess Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. Eco is an Italian professor and a brilliant symbologist, linguist, and historian. The book is like The Da Vinci Code for smart people. I'm not gonna lie... it's a hard read and it took me a couple tries to get through it. But it's totally worth it, if you just power through! Probably the most complex, educated, and intricately woven novel I've ever read.

6. Have you ever been in a fight and thrown something made of glass at someone, like they do in the movies?
Yes actually. It was very dramatic.

7. Do you believe in love at first sight?
No. First conversation, first kiss, sure... But sight? No. Maybe if you're telepathic, but I'm not, so no.

8. What would your ideal Sunday morning consist of?
Get up semi-early, coffee, lounge with the dogs, go to a farmer's market with the man and get stuff for a breakfast, cook it late while listening to some Sex Pistols or Bing Crosby radio, and sit outside on the deck and eat in the fresh air. Cause in this fantasy we live in the mountains and have a deck that overlooks a beautiful forest, and its nice out and not humid and disgusting like here in GA. Ugh we need to move.

9. Why do you blog?
Cause I like to write but I don't often get to write for fun. And I like to do all these weird projects and people often ask me what I'm up to NOW, with that inflection like they expect it's something totally bizarre, like beekeeping (which is NOT bizarre, btw!) or medieval alchemy (eccentric, MAYBE).

10. If you had to choose one color to wear forever, what would you pick?
Eww. When I was a gothy, punky, angsty teenager I always wore black. But now I wear tons of color. I really don't know... I guess some kind of pale blue or mauve, cause that's most flattering on me.

11. What is your all-time favorite band?
Nine Inch Nails, ever since hearing them for the first time. I remember it very clearly. I was 14 or 15 and flying back to CA from AZ, and I had bought The Downward Spiral while I was there. I listened to it on the plane, and it was like a religious experience. It was so intricate, like classical morphed into this loud, angry, dystopian sound-bomb. Trent Reznor has evolved so much over the years. I really believe he's a musical genius, and he has the guts to make what's true to himself, which is something a lot of artists can't say. Plus he puts his money where his mouth is, which is something a lot of musicians definitely can't say. But these days I listen to a lot of Puscifer and other random stuff; like right now I'm listening to First Aid Kit. I also love classical strings, especially Bach. Learning the violin is one of my ongoing projects.

I'm tagging everyone too! So if you read this you're tagged. But I'm going to specifically tag Alecia, Maggi,  Jacquie, Jessica, Bhrett, and because I just discovered her blog this morning and thought she was pretty cool, Amanda at Motif Number One. I'm not making new questions cause I like these. Now tell all of us your deepest darkest secrets! Oh and be sure to link back in the comments when you post, so we can read your answers!


***Comments have not been working properly. If you have trouble commenting, you can go to the Facebook page and leave a comment there!***

7 comments:

  1. I knew I liked you when I first read your blog. Now I know why...I loved school too. My school days are over now (I'm 46) but I could easily be a professional student. I LOVE to learn new things! This tagging to get to know you thing sounds fun so I'll write a post on it tonight. And of course, link back to your blog. See ya then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I've learned so much about you! It's funny, but we have something in common: (1) I like Umberto Eco too (my favorite is the Name of the Rose); (2) I studied theology too! I have a bachelor degree in Theology; (3) I also have several degrees--in medicine, in psychology, in theology, and now I am taking jewelry classes! Isn't it weird?
    So nice to know you better! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you've had such an interesting life! I think you can probably write a book on every one of those sentences :-) I agree with you on the blogging bit completely - I don't get to write for fun at work (mostly just semi-nasty emails telling people to do stuff ASAP), so this is a great outlet. And don't move. When we visit my sister down in Aiken, I might actually get to meet you!

    And I'll have to check out this book, been looking for another read anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. I love you, you fascinate me.

    B. Duhn-dunna-Nuuun. I did it! It's on my bloggy now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God! That trip to the UK was so unbleivably amazing. And yes, I wish we could go back, too. Maybe sometime in the future when we're both old and have to get away from the men and the kids. We'll take an amazing trip then. sound good? I think so. I'll really work on getting this written. I'm trying to stay off the computer as much as possible because of the migraines. But that's only for the next few weeks. So, it'll be awhile, but I WILL do it. Promise. Loved learning more about my oldest -- well, you ARE older than me -- friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie! I was so thrilled to read all your comments - I am very new to blogging and I was glad to have a new follower to my blog. I love your blog! I am super jealous of the design, and I can't wait to read through your posts. I will definitely do this 11 questions post asap, thanks for the idea. Your responses were really down to earth, and I appreciate that because blogging can be so self inflating and superficial.

    - Amanda
    motifnumberone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you pressed the publish key !! I LOVE your style of writing ~ frank and humorous !! There are so many things about your life that I cannot relate to ~ like how does one miss his/her own wedding (would love a post on that !!) ( maybe because coming from a different continent and all that ~ Weddings are a huge fuss over here :0 ) You know, Jamie, I like you very much becoz I love the honesty in your writing. Please keep writing.
    A new follower and hopefully a new friend
    Naush
    Doodle Buddies

    ReplyDelete

I'm not always great at replying to comments but I DO read every single one of them and I always reply in my head. So in my mind we've had this deep conversation about the meaning of life or whatever, and we're best friends, and we craft together on Sunday afternoons while drinking Mojitos and watching old Indiana Jones movies. So thank you for your comments. And now I want a mojito.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...