The (mostly) Weekly Granny Stripe Update!

1.12.2012

Yeah I know I said "weekly updates" for the Monster. But I've been hidden away in the remote forests of the Blue Ridge Mountains for the last week celebrating my five year anniversary with the man. It has been pleasant and relaxing in only the way complete and unforgiving abandonment of suburban civilization can be. This cabin in the lofty wilderness has been like a creative juicemaster, squeezing every bit of moisture and pulp out of my fruity brain.

Hmm. That was a weird metaphor. Did I mention oxygen is in short supply up here? Anyway, I thought it might be prudent to give you a real idea of just how ginormous this blanket really is. Meet the Monster:

 *SIGH*. Again. King size, at least. I think. At least, that's how it feels every time I've been hooking for hours and I find my thoughts have drifted to hooking out the parts of my brain that thought this was a good idea. And by hooking, of course I mean prostituting myself to the crochet gods. That's right. Yarn Whore. Except I get paid in carpal tunnel instead of herpes.

It's going okay though. No more frogging since the last granny stripe post. It's going a bit faster. Or, I just drift into an acrylic/wool blend stupor after the first 10 minutes.

I've also worked up a tiny, cute, googly eyed amigurumi crochet owl out of that luscious chartreuse yarn. If you follow me on twitter (and you do, right? RIGHT??) you saw a sneaky hipstamatic pic of it. A post featuring the adorableness is coming soon, I promise.

Aaaaannnd. A bit of sketching. I used to do a lot of calligraphy and still love to work with pure inks and specialty nibs. I scratched this out this morning while watching the sun rise through the storm clouds; just some scribbles as the coffee kicked in.


Don't forget to follow me. I may have promised a ray-gun, beefy bodyguard, and an official membership speedsuit to new minions in my last post, but I'm afraid the ray-guns were intercepted by customs. The bodyguards are still beefy though.






Making Monday Marvelous! Hookin Up With HoH! Transformation Thursday! Taking a Timeout Thursday! Strut Your Stuff! Show Off Your Stuff! Primp Your Stuff Wednesday! Creative Me! Craft Catwalk! Just Something I Whipped Up! Bedazzle Me Monday! Making the World Cuter! Made by You Monday! Cure for the Common Monday! DIY Showoff! Frugal Friday! Petals to Picots! Show and Tell Friday!

25 comments:

  1. When I see your "monster", it makes me want to crochet....so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you get to it :)

      Delete
  2. Your afghan will be beautiful when done. I am make one for my youngest son. He wanted TarHeels Colors - blue and white. I see blue, dream blue... it's too blue!

    http://theemptynestexpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah, that's one of the reasons I picked lots of different colors, cause I knew I'd get bored and lose patience if I had to do the same one for too long!

      Delete
  3. I love the yarn whore comment. I can totally relate, although I have not attempted to do a king size project.
    This is lovely... the colors, the warmth... so inviting. I love it. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it'll be nice when it's done...

      Delete
  4. Wow king size. I could use an afghan that large, not saying I'm brave enough to start it though. What are you making that with? Woolease? I clicked through your other posts and the yarn reminds me of Woolease. You picked wonderful colors. Persevere and you will love it, and think you will never be frightened of the enormity of any other crochet project again!

    good luck!

    --Denise at Sly Needle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's wool-ease. I talk about it in the Granny Stripe Pile-o-Yarn post :) I needed something washable but I didn't like most acrylics; this seems to work okay. Hopefully it really is washable!

      *sigh* perseverance is my motto these days ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow!! This is gonna be amazing! I love the rainbow colors. My grandmother, in her 80's, crocheted my sister and I EACH a queen size afghan for Christmas one year. I was seriously amazed by it as I am by this. I'm just starting to crochet and can't imagine a project like this. This is beautiful!! New follower here! I would love for you to stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2012/01/bedazzle-me-monday-16.html

    I can't wait to follow along and see the final product! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be daunted! I am a beginner too! It's seriously easy, you just need to kind of power through it :)

      Linked up this post and a couple others to your linky party, and followed you too. :)

      Thanks for following!!

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! Thanks for linking up to my party. I can't wait to see what you have next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are really bright and fun. And hey, it's not like you're going to lose it in a pile of laundry! Cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love , love, love the colors! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! very cool! i love crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So bright, so pretty! Consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have once again inspired me. My mom taught me to crochet when I was young but I don't think my brain has retained tht information. I have been thinking of having her try to show me again as I have a thing for scarves and think it would be cool to make my own . This may just get me going :)
    Dawn@Making Home
    http://makinghome-dawn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so pretty! I actually made some wrist warmers using this same stitch! http://delilahthomas.blogspot.com/2012/01/another-pair.html Your work is amazing. is crocheting the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great color, this is on my learn to do list ! !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely...and crazy. It's sooo big. And holy crap you're one funny chick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're afghan looks great! You've got to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooo la la! love this scarf. I"m currently crocheting a baby afghan made of granny squares and to be honest i am totally SWOOOONING over granny squares at the moment. Where did you find a pattern for a granny square scarf!? (if your willing to share :] )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jamie, I just stumbled upon your blog and saw pictures of your Monster! Oddly enough I. Have a Monster too, aka king sized rainbow granny stripe crochet. I feed your pain. And you have much more done than I. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good lord that afghan is going to by huge! I am biting my nails for the finished project :) Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the content!
    Da Vinci Black Sable Oil Brush Bright 26

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jamie, your blog made me happy..it has a positive energy.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not always great at replying to comments but I DO read every single one of them and I always reply in my head. So in my mind we've had this deep conversation about the meaning of life or whatever, and we're best friends, and we craft together on Sunday afternoons while drinking Mojitos and watching old Indiana Jones movies. So thank you for your comments. And now I want a mojito.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...