Granny Stripe Pile-o-Yarn

12.10.2011

I haven't picked up a crochet hook in years. I have a big bag of yarn in my closet that has turned into a giant nest for our house gremlins. I'm fairly sure they're using the hooks in there to snag my keys when I have my back turned, little bastards.

Inspired by my sis J.B. over at A Life Lived Gracefully, I decided to wrench my crochet hooks from the cold dead hands of those adorable gremlins and make a granny stripe blanket. So I went over to Joanne's (we don't have a lot of craft store options around here, and I'm all about instant gratification), spent a shockingly short amount of time stuffing my basket full of yarn, snagged a couple darning needles, had a brief awkward conversation with a Mennonite lady, paid the indifferent cashier, and headed home with this beautiful haul:
 Unlike J.B. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing when it comes to fiber. I knew I wanted acrylic because I've shrunk so many beautiful wool sweaters in the wash, and the blanket must be washable because of the three canine kids. But acrylic feels scratchy to me, so I ended up buying this:

Supposedly it's washable. Lion Brand Wool-Ease; 80% acrylic, 20% wool. I think I'm gonna crochet up a little coaster or something and then wash and dry the crap out of it, just to make sure before I spend months not finishing this project only to find out that I've made a painstakingly complicated and colorful square of felt.

 It's awfully pretty, isn't it? I wanted it colorful but more subdued; these colours are bright but have an organic look about them. Very nice, and pretty darn soft too. Also inexpensive... I think I paid $3.50 a skein. Not bad. Since I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I think I might hook up a little sample piece to test today....

Thanks for reading! If you like heavy doses of color and weirdness, [editorial note, copied from my mason jar tutorial cause I'm too tired right now to think] please follow me! (c'mon do it. DO IT. peeeeeeer pressure. this is your brain on my blog. um, lol. btw I'm a freakin' weirdo.) I'm on Pinterest and Bloglovin' too. Scissors and Steam is still shiny and new so please share with your friends and help spread the word! I've got TONS more where this came from. :)


Frugal Fridays! Flaunt it Friday!
 Get Your Brag On! Hookin' up With HOH! Somewhat Simple! Time Travel Thursday! Taking a Time Out Thursday! Crafty Soiree #69! Transformation Thursday! Whatever Goes Wednesday! Delightfully Inspiring!

7 comments:

  1. OMG! I totally covet your camera. It's settled...I need one. As soon as your upgrade, you're sending me that one, okay? :D

    As far as the yarn, it's soooo pretty, and yes, it will be washable. Very washable. You shouldn't have any trouble caring for it once it's a blanket. Good luck, by the way. Let me know if you need help/encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love my fancy-pants camera! You should totally get one!!

    Good to know the yarn's washable. I just finished a test square, and even though I made it for the express purpose of washing it, I still don't want to ruin it!

    And come on. You know I will need TONS of help. And encouragement. Basically, I need someone to stand behind me and threaten to cut me with a knife if I don't work on my blanket. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mostly a knitter, but all those colors make me want to crochet one, too. I really like Wool-Ease, it's my preferred yarn for kid and baby items because let's face it, 100% wool for a baby is pretty much a waste of good yarn!

    I clicked over from Made By You Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille, I'm liking the Wool-Ease too. It's softer than straight acrylic but I don't worry as much about messing it up or wasting it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous yarn colors! I can see them becoming a great looking blanket. Of course, they WILL need your help. ;)

    Thanks for joining Time Travel Thursday. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Liz, I LOVE the colors! They make me so happy to look at :) And they do need my help. Little evil skeins, so lazy they won't crochet themselves. I have to do all the work! lol.

    Hope you have a great Christmas too. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not always great at replying to comments but I DO read every single one of them and I always reply in my head. So in my mind we've had this deep conversation about the meaning of life or whatever, and we're best friends, and we craft together on Sunday afternoons while drinking Mojitos and watching old Indiana Jones movies. So thank you for your comments. And now I want a mojito.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...